Taking care of diet in general or while suffering from COVID-19 can be very helpful. With a rapid spread of this virus, we all have realized an importance of having a good health.
The better your immune system is, the lesser chances you have suffering from any disease or at least being able to get it cured safely, and the first step towards a good health is not any medicine, not any magical pill or any prescription. It is our nutrition.
Eating the right kind and amount of foods is very crucial for our health. Though a healthy diet, cannot directly cure COVID-19 but can definitely help build a better immunity to fight against many diseases or prevent one from facing severe condition, in most of the cases.
Here, in this article, we talk about the diet during COVID, one must follow to ensure a better health.
What to include in the Diet during COVID?
First of all, diet during COVID is as similar as maintaining a healthy nutrition in general active lifestyle routine. There is no one food type which can cure COVID but making sure to modify an overall diet during COVID. Here are some tips to maintain a healthy diet:
- Include Whole and Unprocessed Carbs in your Diet: Having a variety of whole carbs like oats, millets, whole wheat flour, quinoa, multigrains makes a whole lot difference than having processed carbs like maida, packaged foods, sugar in our diet. Consider replacing processed versions with whole, for example pasta with whole wheat pasta or add in veggies to white rice. Whole carbs provide us more nutrients, fiber and help maintain our blood sugar levels. Also, promoting satiety at the same time, they prevent obesity which is good for our respiratory system during COVID.
- Protein Rich Diet: Proteins are the building blocks for our body that help in faster recovery, the essential amino acids guard you against harmful pathogens. Consuming a high protein diet about 1.5 gms/kg of your bodyweight is needed per day. Take as much as lentils, legumes, paneer, soy. Animal sources such as lean meat, chicken, fish and eggs can be included for non-vegetarians.
- Good Fats: Having enough good fats like Omega 3s, Omega 6 and 9s can help a lot maintain an overall health of heart and joints, also helping our body function better everyday. Replace trans fats sources of junk like sweets, namkeens and savoury with unsaturated fats like nuts and seeds, fish oil, avocado, krill oil, egg yolk, vegetable oils etc. Overall, good fats may give our body enough capability to stay healthy. Make sure to include fat sources in portion size as they consist more calories than carbs and protein.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Consuming fruits and vegetables gives many advantages, as they are full of nutrients, fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals and water. They help us get enough antioxidants which help us fight free radicals or toxins in environment and prevent cell damage, overall building our immunity through diet during COVID. Make sure to include at least 2 fruits in a day and vegetable salad with main meals.
- Hydration: Water helps our body transport nutrients and compounds in blood, regulates our body temperature, gets rid of waste, and lubricates and cushions joints. Drink at least 3-4 lts of water everyday. You can also hydrate yourself with coconut water, lemon water, detox water, soups etc.
- Supplementation: Consuming supplements like multivitamins, probiotics, fish oil capsules, vitamin c tablets, zinc can help a lot with an overall healthy diet, such supplements are safe to use and great addition to an overall routine. However, consult your doctor before its use.
Additional Herbs & Remedies to include in Diet during COVID
Now, that we have talked about the tips of the diet during COVID, here are some additional home remedies/immunity booster drinks with herbs that you can add on to build a better immunity.
Take the Message
There is no magical food type which can cure COVID-19, neither just an overall diet. We suggest having such foods to maintain a healthy lifestyle and during COVID-19 to nourish yourself. Taking treatment is necessary, please consult with your doctor and take your medications, healthy diet and follow overall steps as advised on time.
Onsurity’s Healthcare Plan
Onsurity’s plans offer complete access to healthcare package which includes group health insurance and other benefits like doctor teleconsultations, discounted medicines, access to fitness sessions and webinars and especially an incredible assistance from our Good Doctors Team to help you with each and every step towards claims processes.
If you are a team member and looking for affordable healthcare benefits, refer us to your company HR or if you are already an Employer/HR, you can subscribe to our plan today, click on the button below to check out our membership plans for your employee’s healthcare.
Click on the button below.