It’s World Health Day 2021 and it’s time to start taking care of your health and focusing a lot more on physical and mental wellness especially during the COVID-19 pandemic which is unlikely to go away for some time. The best solution is to build a sustainable home exercise routine. As, exercising does not only give us a better shape but overall a better health with good immunity, confidence, peace and strength. If there’s one thing we have learnt over the last year, it is to not take our health for granted. As we have previously covered, irrespective of your age, you need to have a sustainable fitness routine.
We understand that it might be difficult in the current scenario. With added work pressure, closed gyms and parks and a poor work-life balance, getting exercise may not be your biggest priority right now.
That’s why we have written this blog. We have got 10 simple exercises that you can do to build an effective at home exercise routine. You don’t need a fancy wearable device or gym equipment; all these exercises can be done with things at home. Although, we do recommend you get a yoga mat.
If you have one, go grab it.
Let us walk you through an effective at Home Exercise Routine
Plank is an effective core exercise that provides stability and helps you build stamina. Here’s how to do the plank right:
- Pick a comfortable place where you can lie down. Rest yourself in a way where your stomach is facing the ground.
- Now, carefully place your elbows parallel to your shoulders.
- Push your body off the ground in a manner that your body is straight and weight is on your elbows and toes.
- Make sure that your stomach is not touching the ground.
- Hold this position for a minute and day by day; you can work on extending time.
Lunges are known to be one of the best exercises to work on our lower body. Make them an important part of your at home exercise routine.
- Stand normally making sure that your arms are relaxed and there is a gap between your feet.
- Now, place your arms on your waist and put one foot forward at a time and bend your knees towards the floor.
- Make sure that your back is straight and both your knees is bent at 90 degrees
- Now, get back to the initial position and switch legs and do the same.
Burpee is a high-intensity interval training exercise that is beneficial to trim the body and build the strength to have a healthy physique.
- Stand straight on the floor.
- Now, you have to switch to the squat position and place your hands on the ground.
- Quickly shift your legs backwards by keeping your body straight to switch to the plank position.
- Then, switch to position two and then position one.
Squats are known to improve body balance and tone your lower body. It is an essential exercise that works on your whole body and pumps up energy for your day to get going.
- Stand straight with feet spaced a little wider.
- Drive the hips back, ensuring that your spine is straight and bend the knees. Imagine that you are sitting on a chair.
- Try going down as much you can, Now stand back up. Keep your body tight the entire time.
Push-ups target arm muscles and are a good way to build upper body strength. Ideally, try for 45 push-ups in sets of three.
- Place your hands shoulder width apart when you lie on the mat where the stomach is facing the ground.
- Lie straight, only your feet and palms touching the ground. Keep your core tight and pull your body up with the help of the palms on the floor to the extent that elbows are at 90 degrees.
- Ensure your body is straight. Now, push back towards the ground, ensuring a few inches off the ground.
- The entire time your chest and thighs must touch the ground.
A simple pain relief exercise for lower back pain, this is a great way to build a stronger back.
- Lie down on the floor with your hands straight and palms facing the ground.
- Bring your feet closer with 90 degrees bend in the knees, lift your hips off the ground aligning knees, hips and shoulders in line with the support of palms on the floor.
- Squeeze your glutes and hips properly for better results and hold the bridge position for a few seconds and then get back to the original position.
The exercise is best for toning and adding more strength to your lower body.
- Get on all the fours and straighten your back.
- Now, make sure that knees are 90 degrees bent and lift one leg keeping the knee bent.
- Pause for a second and switch the leg.
Inchworm targets upper back, chest and arms effectively.
- Start by standing straight on a mat.
- Curl your way by trying to touch the ground by pressing the palms against the ground and start moving your palms forward into a high plank position.
- Now, place your wrists below(parallel) the shoulder.
- Walk back your arms to the feet, knees straight and waist bend.
A good ‘morning walk’ won’t just contribute to fitness, but it has a significant impact on the mind too. It is a ‘feel-good’ formula for many, which is why it is a key part of any at home exercise routine. To have the potential benefit of walking, you must keep in mind the following:
- Make it a habit of walking daily.
- A slow casual walk will not do, you need to walk briskly. You don’t have to jog/run, just walk faster than you normally do.
- Create a goal, and increase it bit by bit. For example, you could start with 20 mins, and go up to 60 in a few months.
Flexibility is an essential factor when it comes to health. The most definite way to ensure that your body is flexible and muscles are strong is by stretching. Stretching is necessary even before and after an at home exercise routine to warm up the muscles or to relax it. Here are a few basic and easy stretches:
- Get on all fours, now curve your spine by pulling your stomach in and by bending your chin inwards.
- Now, turn your spine by pushing out your belly towards the floor and by looking towards the ceiling.
- Repeat this for 30 seconds to one minute.
Together, these exercises will have you fitter, healthier and more confident. That’s why Onsurity has fitness rewards built into its app. We reward you for going the extra mile, and staying healthy. To find out how, here’s a blog on health rewards.
Visit our website and sign up today. It is a two-minute process that can save you and your team up to 50% off on your healthcare costs or click on the button below. #HappyWorldHealthDay2021