According to India Against Cancer, 63,475 Indians died due to lung cancer in 2018. The website also notes that it predominantly affects men over women. While that number may seem large, it is important to know that it could be worse. Thanks to education and awareness campaigns such as “Healthy Lung Month”, more and more people are becoming aware of lung cancer signs and symptoms.
Healthy lungs are vital to good health. As we have seen with COVID-19, if your lungs are not as healthy as they should be, it has deadly consequences. Luckily though, there are some simple steps you can take to ensure you do not get lung cancer.
As with all cancers, there’s no specific way to prevent the disease from coming. You can, however, reduce your risk of lung cancer. Some key risk factors of lung cancer are:
Lung Cancer Signs and Symptoms
Now that you know the risk factors, the next step is to be able to spot lung cancer signs and symptoms. As lung cancer is internal, there’s no external way of identifying the disease. There are, however, some key tell-tale signs that you should watch out for.
Some of the lung cancer signs and symptoms include:
- Persistent coughing: A persistent cough could just be a symptom of a cold, but sometimes it is also an indication of something more serious. If you develop green phlegm or start coughing up blood, then it’s important to visit the doctor. Untreated, the cough can worsen.
- Shortness of breath: If you find difficulty breathing when going about your day, it could be a sign of lung cancer. Unexplained breathlessness, especially in younger people, is often a huge sign of lung cancer.
- Chest pain and wheezing: Wheezing is a form of sound that appears when you breathe out. Therefore, it’s a classic sign of respiratory disease. It usually disrupts the flow of air leading to the lungs. Wheezing is usually accompanied by chest pain or tightness in the chest. If you are finding it difficult to breathe, it is wise to consult a doctor.
- Weakness and Weight Loss: Cancer tends to lead to weakness and weight loss, as your body is using up more resources than normal. If you lose weight suddenly and feeling fatigued then it could potentially be lung cancer.
The best way to tackle cancer early is to get regular health checkups. Routine health checkups will ensure you are aware of any problems with your body before they become too serious.
For employers, the government has now mandated that all employees above a certain age (yet to be confirmed) get routine health check-ups. If you are an employer, the smart thing to do is get an employee healthcare plan like TeamSure by Onsurity. That way, you can get checkups regularly, without eating into your working capital.
Looking After Your Lungs
Getting tested is great, but what if you could ensure your lungs are as healthy as they can be. We understand that some factors, like pollution and family history, cannot be controlled, but some others can. If you want to avoid lung cancer, you need to look after your lungs.
To do so, here are some simple tips to follow:
- Healthy eating: A healthy diet is critical for your body to be able to fight infections. Ensure you eat cardamom, eucalyptus, long pepper and basil/tulsi. They are known to help eliminate congestions in the lungs.
- Breathing Exercises: Exercises like Pranayama are a sustainable and easy way to prevent respiratory issues. They are known to expel toxins, improve lung capacity and help control breathing. Take time out daily to-do Pranayama, and you will see the benefits.
- Yoga: In general, yoga helps to control breathing and improve your lung capacity. You should also try kapalbhati and bhastrika kriya. These two breathing exercises are known for their ability to help increase lung capacity and clean your airways.
It’s also to make home exercise a regular part of your routine. A brisk walk or some sport is not only great for your lungs, but also for your mood. In case you feel breathless while exercising, it is important to pause and pace yourself. Pacing is critical, especially for people with respiratory conditions like lung cancer, as it will allow you to go further before feeling breathless.
It’s vital that you exercise and stay healthy. That’s why Onsurity has created an employee healthcare plan with fitness rewards. That way, you stay healthy and fit and spend less time in the hospital. To check out some other great features of Onsurity’s employee healthcare plan, head to our website.